Friday, March 03, 2006

Walking Wounded

Let me tell you an amusing little incident that rendered me somewhat crippled last night. I say somewhat because I'm not wheelchair or bed bound, but oh lordy...

So, I shall pre-empt this by telling you we have 3 new additions to our family. These new additions are small and green and hop. Yes, we have 3 baby green frogs in our back yard (and evidently the garage as well).

Last night I was in the garage, and on my way back in. Kira was awake and hungry, and D was busy getting her bottle ready for her, when he and I almost collided as I entered the kitchen. He looks down, points between my feet and proclaims, "Ohhh!" which caused me to leap into the air (literally, yes I leapt like 2 feet) only to come crashing down on the hard, white tile. I landed on my feet, though as my feet touched the ground, something skewed with my left leg, and I jarred my knee, which sent pain skewering up to my hip the lower left side of my back.

Now. What was I jumping in hysteria from? Normally when things are pointed out around our house, they usually have 8 legs, are pretty big and quite hairy. This time? Four legs, green and terribly frightened. Yes, yes, I LEAPT two feet in the air over our little froglet. Thank christ I didn't squish him.

It's funny now. It was funny last night. I alternated between wanting to laugh and holding back tears of insurmountable pain. My entire body shook for about five minutes straight before I could even think about putting weight on that leg. Have you ever jarred your knee? It's really not very comfortable.

I thought by going to bed and relaxing that my knee may be better by today. Not so. In fact, through the night I kept waking up to the twinges of pain as I moved around. When Kira woke up for her early morning feed, I swung my legs out of bed, knee all a-twinge, spontaneously burst into tears (quiet sobs mind, so I didn't wake D) and fetched her from her bassinette to bring her into bed with me. It took almost a full minute for me to get her to my bed, and I was so sure my knee was going to give out and I would drop her, or fall on her. Obviously (and thankfully) I didn't.

Oh, and I also have a neck injury, it seems, on the right side of my neck. Pulled muscle? I'm not sure. All I know is that it's painful to turn my head to the right.

Mamala came up for a visit today with my sister and her boyfriend, and she brought with her a small jar of comfrey cream. She informed me over the phone this morning after I rang her to see if she had anything that would take swelling down (I don't have any deep heat, or lavender oil, or vinegar...) and she promised she'd bring up the comfrey when she came. And she made good on her promise.

Five minutes after walking through my door, she had the comfrey cream out and was applying it to my knee, and then to my neck. Within ten minutes of that, my knee felt worlds better and I was able to put pressure on it where I couldn't before. Not alot mind you, but at least now I don't have to walk with the left leg completely straight. At least I can bend it somewhat when I walk. And my neck doesn't twinge near as much either.

I still don't trust myself to hold Kira or walk around with her yet, not until the knee gets much better than what it's doing right now. Hopefully with the continual use of the comfrey cream, it'll be better in a few short days.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Maribeth said...

Many years ago I was sleeping in our bed, when I heard a huge cat fight in our room. I leapt out of bed and when I landed I rolled my foot and broke it! This all happened two days before our vacation to the Grand Canyon! Hubby was not amused. In the end it did work out great though because when we got our rental car we got handicapped plates and could park anywhere and at the National Park sites I even got a complimentary wheel chair! LOL!

ezri.blue said...

LOL that was one of the cool things about going to the hospital AFTER my water broke... I got a wheelchair!!!

E in Oz said...

LOL Ok, I'm *only* laughing coz that's something I'd do.

I hope you feel better soon! :-)