Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Addendum

I'm a little bit of a moron. A couple of planets shy of a universe. Yesterday when I was ranting about my experience at the health clinic, I completely forgot to talk about the whole pacifier/nipple-confusion thing that I had originally intended to talk about, thus the title of yesterdays post.

Quadruple Sigh.

I was using the wrong bottles, apparently. Well... okay, not necessarily the wrong bottle, but the wrong teat. I was using Avent bottles'n teats, when I should have been using the Pidgeon Peristaltic Nipple. This is to help remove nipple confusion, as this nipple actually mimics a real nipple. It's all very exciting in the world of silicone these days. So I rushed out and bought one. And Kira appears to like it better than the previous ones she'd been used to.

Also, I was told the dummy (pacifier) I was using, was the wrong one. I was using the Nuk Soother which apparently isn't the right one to be using. I should have been using the Cherry Soft Touch Pacifier made by Heinz. Okay, I'm an easygoing girl, so off I toddle down to the store to purchase this new and improved and amazing dummy.

Kira hates it.

Apparently this new and improved and amazing dummy, doesn't lead to nipple confusion like the rest do. I find this really hard to believe, because the dummy itself is almost shaped like a nipple, and when she sucks on it, she gets most upset that nothing is coming out, spits it and starts wailing up a storm. We give her back the dummy she'd been using, and she's happy as a clam. She knows that one doesn't produce anything, and is only there to provide comfort. She knows that one goes into her mouth when she's fussing, or when she's trying to fall asleep. She accepts it happily and will usually fall asleep with it before spitting it out (she really hates dummies in general).

So anyway, that was all supposed to have been put in yesterdays post, but rather than editing it, I felt the need to post it under a completely separate title. No doubt in a few months when I come back to search for this information, I'm going to wish I put it altogether in one post, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

In other news, Mum left us yesterday and headed home. Her two weeks with us were up, and she proclaimed we were doing a "wonderful job", jumped in the car and sped off, leaving only specks of dust in her wake. (Not true really, we don't have a dusty driveway) I cried when she left (freaking hormones!!) and then when I was trying to get a burp out of my wee life-like doll, I wandered into the room Mum had been sleeping in, and thus began crying again. (Hormonal party, all welcome) Uppers anyone?

Oh, and she turned three weeks old yesterday. Wow. Three weeks old! If I'm so amazed now that it's been three weeks already, what am I going to be like when it's been three years?

1 comment:

Maribeth said...

Three weeks! Wow!
Now remember: All those nurse types that try to tell you what is best for your baby, don't always know! The pacifyer is a good example! Trust your insticts! ;~)