Saturday, November 12, 2005

To Say I'm A Domestic Goddess Might Be A Tad Far-Fetched

Though I'm really, really trying. When we moved into the house, I was so excited and so happy because not only do I get my own living space again, but now I can start doing wifey, and more importantly, MOMMY type things. Like cooking. Cooking is essential for every day living.

When I was with my ex, he cooked most of the time simply because he was better at it than me. And he probably still is. I've never known anyone who could cook so good. Of course back then I ate bugger all so I didn't truly appreciate it - not that way I appreciate food now, anyway. But, I digress.

I've always known how to cook. I just prefer not to, because I don't especially like to, and I've never made that a secret. My ex knew it before I moved in with him, and my current knows it as well. But, because things are rapidly changing in our household, I decided to get with the times and start cooking dinners.

You've no idea how excited I was to do this. My first time making an actual meal for my beloved, and I wanted it to turn out right. I didn't want any hassles, any problems; in short, I didn't want anything to go wrong and I EXPECTED everything to go right. I was wrong.

It turns out that having a fan-forced oven dramatically changes the way you cook. In the beginning, I thought this was neat because it's supposed to cut your cooking time down and supposed to cook everything better over all. I will heartily disagree with this. I've never in my LIFE had to deal with such a shit piece of equipment before! I absolutely HATE it. Nothing comes out right. The chicken is always overdone because even though the instructions say to bake at 180 for 35mins, the chicken IS NOT COOKED. So I throw it back for another half an hour, and by the time it's ready, it's dry and tasting thoroughly like cardboard. ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

Steak and porkchops are the same. I go by the instructions and they ALL come out dry and tasteless. And in the beginning I was wondering if it was me, if I just really didn't know how to cook anything. But then my brother, who is a fairly good cook in his own right, started using the oven and even HE found it difficult. So I don't take it so personally anymore; I know the oven isn't discriminating against ME per se, it just hates everybody equally. Meanwhile, I have to figure out a way to cook all my meats so they're COOKED properly, all while maintaining their flavour and juiciness.

I guess I won't hold my breath though.

4 comments:

She Must be Full of BS said...

Hey e!

here's a link to a pdf file cookbook that I think might suit you... Has a lot of family recipies, and a focus on sports-related cooking i.e. what to feed D the night before a big run! I thought a cookbook based on a fan-forced oven might be helpful... let me know! Love you, and good luck!
"Recipes in this book were tested using a fan forced oven and provide for flexibility in cooking time, since ovens can vary slightly
from one manufacturer to another. Using a non-fan forced oven, the cooking time needs to be extended around 5-10 minutes or the
oven temperature raised by 10 C. Most of the recipes have a variable time suggested to allow for this variation. Always preheat the oven to the temperature specified as the first step.
Recipes in this book are for a 750 watt microwave oven. A higher wattage microwave oven will take less cooking time. Always check 1-2 minutes before time recommended. If necessary, microwave further in short intervals.

She Must be Full of BS said...

Oooops, here's the link...

www.sportsdietitians.com.au/asset/1/upload/Cookbook.pdf

ezri.blue said...

OMG you're an Angel!!! Thank you sooo much!!!!

E in Oz said...

I've always known how to cook. I just prefer not to, because I don't especially like to, and I've never made that a secret. My ex knew it before I moved in with him, and my current knows it as well.

That, my friend, is why Lite and Easy is my favourite thing in the world. I can cook. I just can't stand to cook. You have to think and prepare and be organised and have perfect timing and know how things are supposed to taste, not make too much, not make too little, make something everyone likes....then clean up all the crap afterwards. Too much damn work if you ask me. :-p