Monday, November 14, 2005

It's Getting the Best of Me

I think it knows it too. I am, of course, referring to my pregnancy and all that I'm now enduring. I say enduring because while I love being pregnant, I don't love the forgetfulness so much. Or the swelling, and there's lots of that. Or the clumsiness - dear god the clumsiness!!

We're 27 weeks gestational this week, and I'm heading down to Mamala's today to stay overnight so we can head to the pathology unit tomorrow and do my glucose test. I didn't get it done the last time I thought I would because it turned out to be a little too early. So, tomorrow it is. I'm not dreading it AS much as I was, since learning that it's a sugary drink and not pure glucose (like I was lead to believe). So knowing that, I now know I can probably keep it down and not throw it up so I shouldn't be there for too much longer than an hour and a half. Evidently we drink the sugar and then wait an hour before a blood test is done. Hooray. I'm not allowed to walk around at all either because apparently that messes with the sugar digestion (or something) and can throw off the test. I don't want the test to be anything less than accurate.

And of course I believe I don't have gestational diabetes (but then to my own credit I thought for 5 months I was having a boy and it turns out I'm not) but you never do know, do you? Even though it would make sense to only get tested if you were showing symptoms of it... Anyway, so yes the test is finally tomorrow and I don't know when I'll end up getting the results back on that.

Also tomorrow the pest control people come in! FINALLY! I'm going insane with all the moths in the house. I honestly don't have a freaking clue where they're coming from, only that they seem to migrate into the pantry (somehow, the door is always shut) and stay there. We don't have any open bags of flour either, or rice so they're not nesting (do moths even nest?) in there. And any foodstuffs that are open, are sealed up nicely so they still can't get into it. I'm running out of thoughts about how these filthy creatures keep getting in my pantry.

Today our new lounge suite arrives! Huzzah!! Our nice long 3 seater and matching 2 single seaters. Too exciting.

In other exciting news, D applied for residency through his work last week and that the process takes about 2 weeks? I was wrong, sadly. It takes LESS than 2 weeks. In fact, it only took ONE week. While I am over the moon completely that he's gotten residency (we're just now waiting for the Visas to arrive) for 4 years, I'm a little annoyed that it came so soon because we were really hoping he'd have a week off from work. Believe me, he needs it. I keep telling him he should blog about his workplace, but so far he hasn't had the inclination. Anyway so my point here is they told him to go to work today, assuming that the Visa would be there. If it isn't, they'll send him home. I'm half hoping they'll send him home today; his contract expired last Friday and since he's only allowed to work at one establishment for 3 months ONLY (on his travelling work visa) then it's now illegal for him to keep working at the same place today, unless his permenant residency visa arrives. Fingers crossed that it comes this week, but not today so he can come home.

Wow I feel like there's so much to write about, even though I only have a few things left to say before I sign off and go have a shower and prepare to head out today.

My little parasite has been moving around ALOT the last few days. She actually got right under my left hip bone the other day and started tickling me somehow - my eyes bulged out wide and freaky-like as I realized what she was doing, and during a quick conversation with Garth (who was sitting beside me at the time) telling him what she was doing, I poked her rapidly a couple of times and she moved. Thank christ, is all I can say. It's bad enough to have some asshat tickle you mercilessly on the OUTSIDE and won't stop; it's something completely different to get tickled from the INSIDE and not know HOW to stop it. Or if you even can. I hope she doesn't try that again any time soon.

I can't believe we're going to be at 30 weeks gestational in just 3 weeks. Time has flown by SO quickly, it's really rather unbelievable. I was saying to Mamala the other day how much I'm loving being pregnant, but that I'm going to miss it big time too. Right now my little parasite is exclusively mine. If I don't want to be touched, nobody will touch me and therefore nobody can touch her. If I want to be selfish and not let anyone feel her kicking, I can be. But in just 12 short weeks once she's here, I will have no more of that kind of control. I don't want to keep it, of course, because I want everyone to share in her love and presence, but it was just interesting to note that while she exclusively mine right now, she won't be for much longer.

I guess that will be my first lesson in letting go.

No comments: