Tuesday, November 15, 2005

A Little Bit of This... A Little Bit of That

So I went in for my glucose test today. I ended up eating 2 pieces of toast with jam and had a cuppa tea before I went in, because it really wouldn't have done me very well to show up on an empty stomache and be expected to keep down 50g of ULTRA SWEET sugary drink.

Up until this point, I'd always been led to believe that I was going to be drinking raw glucose. Yes I know - YUCK. But that's what I'd always believed. Today, however, that myth was just that: a myth. It wasn't pure glucose (thank god!) but instead a highly, excessively sugary slightly carbonated soda drink. I'd been told sometimes it tastes like orange soda, sometimes coke... I had the great misfortune of getting lemonade flavoured gunk. 50g worth. Bigger than the mini-cans of soda, but smaller than the 375ml cans. I was rather intimidated by it - I probably should have saved the bottle, taken a photo and uploaded it for you to see. Blech.

Anyway. My Doctor had told me I would have 10 mins to drink it in, and then would have to sit in the pathology office for an hour before they took 3 vials of my blood. I was cool with that. Turns out, he was wrong. I had to drink that shit in FIVE minutes (and they timed me.. "You need to up the pace on that.") and about half an hour later, Mamala and I were informed we could go for a walk. When we expressed our confusion about that, the lady looked at us as though we were quite insane and informed us that if I was having the FULL test which takes THREE hours, then yes I'd have to sit there, but not for the small test I was having today.

So we walked across the street, I bought a skirt and a dress, and then wandered across to Vinnies and I bought a few more baby things. I never thought I'd be buying used and secondhand baby clothes, but when some of the things I find are BRAND NEW, there's just no way I can leave them behind. And for 50c, $1, $2... Why would I?

Anyway, so we went back to the pathology building afterward, I got my blood drawn and they made sure I wasn't dizzy or close to vomiting (apparently the soda type drink can make you do that...in which case they can't administer the test and you have to do it again), sucked out my blood and sent me merrily on my way.

We ended up heading up to the Pines Shopping Center in Elanora (QLD) and into PillowTalk where I picked up 6 bamboo place mats for my brand new dining table. It looks so awesome now; I totally LOVE buying stuff for my house.

And on Friday I go shopping for my baby! I'm terribly excited about that as I haven't done any yet really, and I figure since I only have 12 weeks to go before she's here, I really ought to get a move on and at least buy her a bed. Or a chest of drawers that can double as a bed.

Oh and PS: Looks like D has the week off. OI!

No comments: