Saturday, October 29, 2005

Thinking...

About all the things I miss back in the States. It's weird, since being back here in Australia, a country I have always called home, I find myself partly wishing we were more americanized, and partly glad that we are not so much. (At the moment) But anyway, I'm digressing. The following are a list of SOME of the things I miss, and are in no particular order:

* Quiznos
* Vermont Maple Syrup
* Silk Soy Milk
* Folgers Coffee
* Taco Bell
* Dunkin Donuts
* Walmart (and I can't believe I'm saying that)
* 24hr fast food joints
* Poland Spring Water (what it means to be from Maine...apparently)
* Canadian Bacon
* CHEAP CELLPHONE SERVICE!
* FREE LONG DISTANCE and nights and weekends on my home phone
* CHEAP INTERNET


Things I miss in Canada:

* Quiznos
* Tim Horton's
* Canadian Bacon
* Canadian Maple Syrup (omg there IS a difference!)
* The Keg steakhouse
* Toronto

Obviously these are all partial lists, but honestly, since I've been home, I'm missing these things more and more and more. Part of me wants to move back, but then part of me wants to stay here now. Near my family. I've been without them for nearly 10 years, and I don't want to do that again. I really, really don't.

But... I've become so jumpy since moving back here. Seriously. A butterfly flies by and I jump 3 feet in the air thinking it's probably going to attack me somehow. A beetle lands 2cm from my feet while I'm outside and I practically have a heart attack and die over it. A FEATHER wafts around my loungeroom in the dark and I think it's a giant hairy spider, and immediately begin a panic attack that would put me into an asthma attack which would then put me into a fully blown anxiety attack which would land me in the hospital... Until I got up and went to look at this giant hairy spider only to find out it's a FEATHER. I'm too jumpy now, it's horrible. And then, when I DO spy a spider (as I have ALOT lately) I'm instantly wondering if this is one of those deadly ones that is going to kill me with a mere look out of its eyes, and not one of the usual and normal spiders that have to bite you FIRST.

For 10 years I haven't had to double check my toilet seat, or be worried about any creepy crawlies (outside of deer ticks) because where I lived in Connecticut, we didn't HAVE to worry about said creatures. They just weren't there. EVER. And I hate bugs and spiders and crawlies anyway, so now, to come home and be constantly faced with these little terrorists who invade my home and send my heart into well over a thousand beats per second, I'm just really...really jumpy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well if it makes you feel any better, it will probably only be a matter of a few years before many of those American companies are there as they quest to take over the known world :P