Wednesday, August 17, 2005

They Know Her By Sight at the Hospital Now

My sister collapsed again. Yesterday afternoon. My brother and I had just come back from house hunting when Nanna comes out and says "She's collapsed again, the ambulance just took her." We hurried upstairs.

Mum informed us that she had collapsed again, AND convulsed, and bitten her tongue AGAIN. She did the same thing twice on very early Friday morning; once at 1:30am but she came through it quickly and then again at 6:30am which she did not recover so quickly from. That's when they called the ambulance and had her rushed in. Just like yesterday. It seems she is now having grand mal seizures.

Her blood count was down from 89 on Friday, to 80 yesterday but they are still not willing to do a blood transfusion, nevermind that she is well below normal. They were toying with the idea of giving her an iron injection, which involves inserting the needle into your ass just under the skin, directly into the fatty deposits, and weaving it in a zig-zag fashion so it doesn't leave any staining in the skin. My sister queased abit at that point, as I would have also, but they then decided they weren't going to do that last night.

They did keep her overnight so Mum did come home, but has since gone again to see her. She'll keep us updated as things progress, and if they're not home by midday, we'll head in to see her since D's off work due to the Ekka. (Gotta love meaningless public holidays!)

So that's that. Added to which, I have a head cold. I can barely breathe, my head is stuffy and my throat is dry, itchy and sore. I also can't take anything for it, which is making life VERY interesting. Think I might go out today and purchase some breathe-right strips, and some more cough lollies.

1 comment:

She Must be Full of BS said...

Good greif! I hope she's ok!! I think I would have to (given a choice) go with the transfusion... the iron injection might be simpler, but geez, it sounds positively horrible!! Good luck to her, I'll be thinking of you both(for your cold w/no meds, yuck!).

Oh, and it looks like we'll be leaving to drive out to Colorado at about 4am, Sept. 27th.I'll write more about it in a post soon, but we are soooo excited! we called in the deposit today, and we officially have an address out there. Hurrah!