Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Baby Update - 14 weeks, 3 days

Hello internet, so sorry for the lack of posts and updates - things have been sort of whirling around here.

Let me start by saying my sister is okay. She came home on Friday afternoon and has been on new meds since yesterday because her previous sulphur based ones were giving her an allergic reaction. Other than suffering from a head cold (the very same I was afflicted by) she is doing much, much better.

On Friday I had my second ultra sound done. This one was to determine the nuchal translucency which determines if there are any chromosomal abnormalties are found (ie: Trisomy, Downs Syndrome). I am very happy to report my baby is perfectly healthy, with very minimal risk of DS (1 in 1200). He's also measuring in at 8.7cm long, with a heart rate of 146 beats per minute, and has 2 arms, 2 hands, 2 legs, 2 feet! I have my next ultrasound in about 6 weeks time to determine gender, among many other things. I'm soooo excited, though sadly D won't get to come with me because he'll be working, and he missed this last one I had as well but I will have new pictures for him!

It's funny, I was chatting with Mum today and up until this last ultrasound, even though I know I'm pregnant, I didn't FEEL as though I was. I didn't feel like any of this was real, or if I was just imagining it. . .until I saw him up on the monitor. His whole body would convulse every few minutes, as though he had the hiccups, and it was just the most adorable thing I'd ever seen. He moved around a little bit for me, even turning over once so I was able to see his spinal cord VERY clearly, and the sonographer zoomed in nice and close so I was almost able to count his vertibrae. It was the most AMAZING sight I've ever seen and I so badly wanted to cuddle him right then and there. I'm so excited and cannot WAIT until he comes out to join us. Through the scan, the sonographer kept pushing down on my belly to get him to move, and once she actually had both hands on the side of my belly pushing in, but he wasn't interested in moving for her. I had to laugh inwardly at that, knowing that I've been pushing and playing with my stomache for the last month and a half has gotten him used to it, and he probably no longer reacts to it! He seemed very serene though, very content to just lay there being poked and prodded, and only moving when he felt it necessary to do so. I think he's going to be alot like his parents and move along at his own pace, not daring to be rushed or pushed into anything.

I'm so looking forward to my next ultrasound and seeing him, and maybe I'll even get to hear him pretty soon, as we still haven't heard the heartbeat. I don't quite know how I'm going to react to that - I cried each time I got to see him on the monitor during the ultrasounds, so I can only imagine what I'm going to be like when I finally get to hear his heartbeat.

No comments: