Wednesday, June 08, 2005

e's Big Day Out

Sounds like a nifty movie title. I think it might be, however "e's" would be replaced with the correct name or word. Or something, I don't really know. I'm tired and it's not even 830p yet.

On a side note, I have a really bad habit of not putting the colon in between the numerals when I type the time out. 830pm vs 8:30pm you see.

I'm really very tired today. It might have a lot to do with the fact that I woke up around 7am bursting at the seams with needing to go to the loo. I am supremely lazy and refuse to get up in the middle of the night to make a run out there, since it involves walking through a fairly cold kitchen, and an insanely cold tiled hallway. Anyway so after doing the deed, I decided I'd go back to bed, even though I had an appointment at Centrelink at 1030am today.

Snuggling next to the warm body beside me, I drifted back into sleep, only to jolt awake 50 minutes later and decide I should really get out of bed FOR REAL this time. Nevermind that again, a trip to the loo was necessary. It was then I wondered how much fluid I actually had inside me, since I couldn't recall drinking a whole lot yesterday. (I still don't have any idea why I had to go twice in the space of an hour)

I plodded upstairs and sat down on the chair, wondering how Mum's dog was faring. We had a bit of a scare with him recently; we went down to the beach a few days ago, and he was snuffling around in the sand, licking and actually eating it. We stopped him, of course, and an hour or so later, headed home. She fed the dogs as normal, and about an hour after they'd eaten, Kyto got decidedly sick and was constantly vomiting - mostly sand. We figured his poor little tummy couldn't handle so much salt intake (and it was ALOT) so we made sure he had plenty of water to drink. He spent the whole night moping (think Eeyore) and walking around as though his tummy was in knots and causing him excruciating pain.

The following day he didn't seem to get any better, though he was still throwing up sand, but he was walking around a lot more, keeping his nose to the ground for the most part, and trying to sleep standing up. It was evident that he couldn't lay down because his tummy hurt so bad. And so it was that yesterday, after not being any better, Mum took him down to the Vet and had him checked out.

Turns out he was diagnosed with pancreatitis and it was so severe, that had she left it any later to bring him in, he would have died. They doped him up on morphine and gave him antibiotics, telling Mum that he would need to stay overnight, and possibly for as much as 3 days.

Today he's doing WORLDS better, and we were allowed to bring him home for the night, but he has to go back to the Vet tomorrow, probably for more testing to make sure he's doing well, and for another round of antibiotics. Mum was told today that she couldn't give him any food or water though, so having dinner was a traumatic experience - poor puppy sat there with big sad eyes, wanting what we were eating.

So, as I was sitting at the kitchen table this morning, my sister came out and we started chatting. Around 9am Mum got up, and around 930am I decided to have a shower. By the time I'd gotten out, dried off and gotten dressed, she'd jumped in, and I had JUST finished brushing my hair when it was announced we had 10mins to get to Centrelink (which is a 15min drive away). Needless to say, I was a little bit late. Thankfully so were they.

My meeting with them went very well. I was approved for Newstart and begin collecting that next week. It's not much, but at least it's something and I'll be able to buy food and start paying down some creditcards we've been living on for the past month.

After that we headed over to the Mall and had brunch - I was fairly well starved by that point - before coming home again. The afternoon flew by, and after a driving lesson for D (learning to drive on the opposite side of the road IS NOT easy), Mum drove out to pick up Kyto from the Vet and brought him home.

I've found a new love for making lists, so I'm about to sit down and start writing one out of all the neat, nifty and "girlie" things I'll be able to buy when I start getting some money. (Hear that Snidgie? GIRLIE THINGS!)

No comments: