Saturday, February 11, 2006

Introducing...



Kira Rose

Born Feburary 7th, 2006, 2:11pm
52cm long, 34cm head circumference, 7lbs 11oz
Full head of dark hair, and deep blue eyes

I'm so sorry it's taken so long to post this - I have been so tired and overwhelmed and of course all the great stuff that comes with having a baby. Labour went well, and I went into a natural one shortly before midnight on the 7th; tip for moms-to-be: having a really hot shower, with the water spray focused on your lower back really DOES work with breaking your water. Or at least it did for me.

Will post more soon, hopefully in the next couple of days, as well as getting some photos uploaded to FlickR.

Quickly though... The beginning stages of the labour itself wasn't what I thought it would be. The contractions came fast and furious within minutes of my water breaking, but then would change dramatically. We started out at 4mins apart, so we called the hospital and headed in shortly after midnight; the contractions were still spacing 4-5mins apart so we thought it wouldn't be long til I had her. They checked me in, checked me out and saw I was only 2cm dilated, so I still had HEAPS of time (grr).

Around 4-5am on the 7th, they gave me a shot of morphine because my body was so stressed and tense, with the contractions spacing from anywhere between 2mins to 10-15mins, that the midwives felt I needed to relax and calm down. The morphine did nothing to ease the pain of the contractions, but it DID help me calm down and shortly thereafter I was at 5cm and fully effaced and could jump in the spa.

I'll tell you, the water submersion did absolutely NOTHING for me. It did not ease the pains at all, even though it was nice to sit in a tub of warm water. By the time I actually wanted drugs to stop the pain, I was at 10cm, and it was way too late. From the time I started pushing til the time she was born? 45mins.

And I'll happily and proudly say that D delivered her (with the watchful eye and care of the midwives nearby) AND cut her cord. I'm so happy and so proud of him for doing it - he was so concerned he'd pass out or something.

Anyway so that's that for now - I will post more later when I can.

10 comments:

Maribeth said...

Yea!!!!! I love the name Kira Rose! So beautiful! And the picture you posted is great! She is a doll!!! I love her bassinet!!!
Congratulations to you and D!!! I wish I was closer and could lend a hand, but this Cyber Auntie sends oodles and oodles of hugs to you both and the new baby!!!

PS: Casey on All I'm Saying had her baby on the 7th too! Freya Marie.

Anonymous said...

Oh congratulations to both of you and your families!!! She is so lovely!!! Such a nice name!

Michelle

E in Oz said...

Yay!! Congratulations to you all!!!

Love the name too! :-) Can't wait to hear more about how you're doing and see some more pics.

I have a 7 b'day too, so I think being born on the 7th is pretty cool. hehe

Anonymous said...

So where do you want the presents sent?

Anonymous said...

Did you know that you're Mum had given away Kira's name on her blog, or do you know another Kira??

ezri.blue said...

Thanks all! :) We're happy as can be, and yes I know Mum had already given out Kira's name. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so very excited for you all! :)

She Must be Full of BS said...

Hey sister!! I am SOOO proud of you!! You folks are our first vacation priority after our honeymoon, and we're so excited to meet little Kira Rose! Not to mention D, who just seems like the coolest guy ever(besides Mr.M, of course, but I'm terribly biased). Congratulations on the natural birth; you've got steel cojones, sister, way braver than I would've been! I'm so glad all went well, and Kira is absolutely gorgeous. So much so that I'll forgive you for stealing the girl name that I would have used if I were to ever have spawn of my own. Love you guys!!!!!

kris said...

So proud of you! Great job! She's a beautiful beautiful girl!

Contagion said...

Congratulations! Let the lack of sleep begin!