Friday, January 20, 2006

Update

Just got back from the antenatal clinic, and I have some mixed results. Overall I think it was a good visit, but I'm not entirely sure.

Firstly the OB changed my due date. Again. They've decided to go by the dates of my ultrasound, which makes my due date now Feb 21st (again) and not Feb 11th. Because of this, they've decided to restest me for cholestasis, as well as do a complete liver check - all done via blood. All of that will be done on Monday, and I go back on Wednesday to discuss the results with whoever is on duty.

Okay so that being said.. the OB I spoke with today isn't too concerned with the bile salt test results I already have. She said they were high, but since I'm not experiencing any major itching, that she's not going to get too concerned until the new bloodwork comes back. My itching isn't constant, it doesn't really wake me up through the night and it generally isn't something of a discomfort, so she wasn't TOO concerned about it.

I also mentioned the black spots I saw the other afternoon when I got up from the couch, but she did not seem concerned about that in the slightest. (I'm not really sure what to think of that, but for now I'm taking her word for it)

So when I go back on Wednesday to discuss the results of my new bloodwork, I am also being scheduled for what's called a "trace" which is where they hook me up to some machine and monitor the baby's heartbeat for awhile. Apparently this can tell them whether or not the baby is okay, or under stress, etc etc. The OB says she wants this monitoring to go on twice a week until my 38th week (which is now 2 weeks away and not 1) and all the while constantly monitoring my itchies to make sure they do not increase. At this point, the OB doesn't think it necessary to induce me, but again they won't really know anything until the second lot of results come back and we talk on Wednesday.

She was very happy with baby's heartbeat, which is still very nice and strong, plus there was LOTS of fetal activity today during the external exam, and we also found out that her head is nice and low. Also next week, they'll do a vaginal exam to find out exactly where the baby's at and feel how ripe the cervix is. At least the good news about all of this, is that if I do have to be induced, bubby's in the right position and fairly low, even though I haven't actually "engaged" yet.

As of today and my new (old) due date of Feb 21st, I'm back to being 35wks 3days along instead of 36wks and 7 days.

It's all terribly confusing but I am staying positive, and as long as there are no signs of fetal distress then I'm perfectly happy letting everything go as a normal pregnancy would. If the tests come back in a not-so-positive light, then they WILL induce in my 38th week; I guess they just want to be sure and not prematurely induce me when there would be no need. I guess this is a good thing.

Whew, that seems like so much to absorb, and I don't think it's all fully sunk in quite yet. I am left feeling a little... frustrated at the seemingly indecisive nature of all this testing, but by the same token, I'd rather know for sure than just be induced on a whim only to find out later there was no need.

In other more positive news, my strepB tests all came back negative so that's one less thing to worry about.

1 comment:

Maribeth said...

Okay. This all sounds pretty positive. Glad the strep issue is a good one!
How are you feeling?
Hang in there. Before you know it, she'll be here and you'll be busier than ever thinking only happy baby thorughts! ;~)