Tuesday, November 01, 2005

A Little Bit of This, A Little Bit of That

I slept badly last night, unfortunately. It's something that seems to happen whenever D and I have a little bit of a ... tiff. So, I'm not really having an especially good day so far, even though it's really very early.

And it's Melbourne Cup Day, which means horse racing and fancy hats. And D informs me the other night that his whole company (except the I.T dept where he works) is going down to the pub today to watch the races, eat, drink and be merry. But no, not the I.T dept who have to stay at work because they're contracted. He's not happy about it. I'm not happy about it. I think it's utter codswallop, but what the hell do I know?

The past weekend we had a great time, D and I. We hit Brisbane on Sunday for the Riverside Markets (pictures on FlickR) and then wandered around the gardens, taking pictures, eating lunch and generally having a very relaxing and wonderful time. I was impressed my feet didn't swell to the size of clown feet.

We had another bug incident last night. (Honestly I'm wondering if I should make a new blog called Bug Incidents and just chronicle all of the issues I'm having) Yesterday afternoon, D and I were sitting out the back chatting, and my brother comes out to join us - suddenly he looks up at the shade cloth covering the patio and says, "What's that?" and pointing a rather odd looking flying bug. It kind of looked like a dragonfly crossed with a wasp - and because this is Australia, rural Australia at that, you just bloody well question every bug you see. As D pointed out the other evening: Even pigeons in Australia are deadly...by proxy. (It's probably true)

Anyway, so we went back inside to have dinner and watch Supernanny and a little bit of Millionaire, and then I decided I was going to go back outside for abit. Well I turned on the back patio light, and there was the flying waspy-dragon thing... but with lots more legs, and in a really weird position. I hollered for my brother, of course, and he came out...all the way outside to take a look at the bug in question. Turns out that the bug had been "gotten" by a baby huntsman and was in the process of being eaten. Observe:


Dinner Time

Fantastic picture, isn't it? We were fascinated by this thing, though last night we could not see it as clearly as in the photo. It probably helped that my brother had his high beamed flashlight/phone gadget aimed right on the spider...and that D and I took many shots with the flash going off constantly. Poor Charlotte - she's probably quite blind by now.

I checked periodically throughout the night to see if they were still there.. the last time I saw them before I went to bed, the waspy-dragon-thing was practically all gone and Charlotte was quite fat. But it was very interesting to see, and while I'm all for the food-chain, I'm now wondering when Charlotte's going to sign away her life by entering my home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I would have had the guts to go near that thing. amazing shot, though!

ezri.blue said...

I'm getting braver by the day. (And I have little choice when both guys are out of the house and I have to kill one of these things...BY MYSELF!) eep.