Monday, October 03, 2005

I Really Thought Furnishing a House Would Be Lots of Fun

But, I was wrong. We spent Saturday afternoon in Domayne Furniture, looking through their giant warehouse of stuff before settling on a lovely 3 seater and matching 2.5 seater couch suite. And then we decided on a 6 seater dining suite, and after all of that (and believe me it took FOREVER), Garth and D headed into a back room to fill out all the paperwork to get it financed. 2 years interest free, 0 money down or 4 years interest free, 1/3 deposit down. We chose the 2 year period, which we can have paid off fairly easily.

The sales guy we had was an absolute prick though. He was very rude, very obnoxious and it pissed me off we were stuck giving him the commission he made off our sale. When I asked him when it’ll be delivered, the following conversation ensued:

Him: Four weeks.

Me: Can you give me a date?

Him: It’s roughly four weeks.

Me: From today? When you put the order in? When does the order go in?

Him: (sighs in agitation) It’s about four weeks, alright? It comes up from Sydney and we don’t know when it’s getting here until the day before.

Me: (just as agitated, if not moreso) Well I need a date. SOMEBODY has to be at the house and I have Dr. appointments all through the month (indicating to my stomache showing I’m plainly pregnant) and I need at LEAST a weeks notice.

Him: (glaring at me) Well give us a call in three weeks. We should know by then.

If Garth hadn’t wanted this set so bad, I would have screamed abuse at him, told him where he could put his truckload of furniture, cancelled the order and stormed out. I’m just not able to portray the kind of asshole this guy is. He wasn’t even interested in helping us from the start, but we had already waited HALF AN HOUR for someone to come and help us, and he was – unfortunately – the first sales guy we spotted.

Anyhow, so now we have some nice shit coming next month. I just cannot believe it takes them a month to get stuff in!! Somehow I feel like I was conned or something, I don’t know. Anyone else dealt with Domayne Furniture?

In other news, I’ve been feeling the baby move a lot this weekend which I’m happy about. I hadn’t been feeling her as regularly for the past 2 weeks and I’d been getting worried, but then during the ultrasound we had last week, she was moving all OVER the place and I wasn’t feeling it, so I’m very happy she’s back to being rather active and buoyant and I can feel her again. Little bit stronger than butterfly wings, and mouse tumbles – more like nudges now in my lower abdomen.

I have a hospital appointment on Wednesday afternoon and get to chat with a Dr. about the ultrasound results, which I have yet to pick up. From this point on, I get to alternate between a hospital Dr. and my regular Dr. until the baby is born. That’s going to make life fun. ;)

Saturday night we went to Mum’s for dinner and while I wish I could say the food was good, it sucked hardcore. We made a lasagne with one of those dinner kits you can buy, and OMG it was salty. Just bloody awful. I don’t recommend those San Remo Lasagne Kits. But, the company was exceptional and unfortunately the evening flew by way too quickly and all too soon we were on the road to come home. (Honestly it sucks being an hour from her, but at least it’s better than being half a world away)

Sunday saw us at the Hyperdome shopping center because we had to pick up yet MORE shit for the house. I am SO SICK of shopping for house related stuff. It’s just not fun!! Or maybe I’m not doing it right or something. But anyway, my feet were killing me after we’d been walking around for 3 hours, and my ankles were swelling up. Thankfully by that point we were done and were going home, but my poor feet! They burned and tingled for ages before the swelling went down.

But it looks as though we have now gotten 90% of the stuff one needs to buy when one is furnishing a new home. And all I can say is thank god for Garth cause without his third on everything, we wouldn’t have nearly as much this soon.

I hope when I finally get to go baby shopping to furnish the baby’s room, it’s not going to be nearly as harrowing an experience.

No comments: