Wednesday, September 28, 2005

When You Find Out Things Aren’t What They Seem…

Well today was a day of surprises! We had to take back some paperwork to the landlord regarding our new house, fill out some other paperwork to have our rent automatically taken out of the bank account each week, go to the Big Ultrasound and then do a quick bit of shopping and changing of bank account types.

Everything went along nice and smoothly, including stopping at the acupuncturists this morning so D could meet him and have an impromptu interview/overview of his condition. Bottom line, D’s ailments can be cured. And so can mine. Huzzah!

We then headed back down the coast so I could have my ultrasound, which I ended up arriving 20mins early for. Then they made me wait an additional 20mins before they took me in, so there I was sitting on the seat and squirming up a storm. But then, in we went and were immediately greeted by the NICEST sonographer I’ve ever dealt with. She let us ask questions, she talked to us, she told us exactly what she was doing as she was doing it.

And then we got a gender check. And we are not having a boy. We’re having a little girl!!! I was gaping unbelievably at the screen, wondering how that happened because I was SO SURE we were having a little boy. She’s roughly 15cm in length, has a good strong heartbeat of 143 beats per minute, has 2 arms, 2 hands, 8 fingers and 2 thumbs, 2 legs, 2 feet and 10 toes. Her head circumference is 4.7cm, and her feet are 4.3cm long. (She has the most adorable little feet!) Her heart is pumping blood normally, all her arteries are fine and dandy; all her organs are functioning normally and the placenta is up where it should be, and happily doing it’s job. And our daughter was moving around A LOT! I didn’t feel most of the kicks though, but man she was moving. We could not believe we were actually watching our child on screen, especially when she did a full body stretch and we were able to watch it as it happened!

We headed to Mum’s house afterward, my sister was jumping up and down begging us to tell her what the gender was (apparently there was a bet going on). So, when I suddenly blurted out, “It’s a girl.” My sister screamed, my Mum started laughing in disbelief, and D and I were grinning like maniacs.

Even though we were both slightly disappointed to find out our Shaun had become a Shauna, we’re both so stoked and can’t wait until she’s here with us.

Photos will come as soon as I can get them scanned.

No comments: