Thursday, May 05, 2005

Losing Weight & Combatting Biologically Altered Hummingbirds

So you might recall a few months ago, I suggested that in the goal of trying to shed some unwanted pounds, I had taken up walking to help with cardio and all that. It was going very well for a few weeks up until the Big Move to where I am now, so in all the hustle and bustle, I hadn't been able to.

Since being here though, I've taken to nightly walks which have been really nice, albeit a little scarey with the mosquitos and their nefarious West Nile. It's like dodging little tiny virus bombs and makes for a very interesting walk. And because I like to err on the side of danger, I haven't bothered with repellant.

But, I digress.

So while walking last night, we discovered an interesting creature! It's big like a moth, but sucks out the pollen of a flower, like a hummingbird. It was suggested that perhaps these were biologically created beasts, taunting us to get a close enough look at them before they turned on us, unleashing their fury. This was, of course, negated as we saw the babies of the species and deduced that babies cannot possibly dangerous, and I vowed to get pictures of them on our next walk.

Upon getting home last night, we did some research, and came to find out these little creatures are actually called Hummingbird Moths. We were slightly disappointed in this, quite happy to believe they were actual Nocturnal Hummingbirds. I will still attempt to get pictures of them tonight, however.

Now after all that, I get to the point I had originally wanted to make: weight loss. I'm already doing the walking thing, and usually it's a brisk walk to get my heart-rate up, but after seeing my body-fat percent on the nifty scale yesterday (it's at a shocking 36%!) I have decided that I needed to do something drastic. This is where the famous eDiets comes in. Have any of you used this service? I'm not skeptical so much as I am wondering how well it works - I tend not to believe testimonials from complete strangers.

I'm most likely going to sign up for a plan and do it, figuring that it shouldn't take me too long to lose the 20lbs I want to lose, but I'd just like some feedback if anyone's done it. I'm also thinking about setting up yet another blog to monitor my progress.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I think that if you wish to lose weight, then you cant go past this diet that your sister has to be on...its healthy, so long as you like all the things she is only allowed to have and can stomach the vitamins and minerals that you HAVE to take whilst on it, this includes mineral salts. I have done basically what she has done and lost the unwanted kilos that the drug periactin put on me, by forcing me to eat anything that crawled! Its basically good sensible eating whilst cutting out all sugars and dairy in the ingredients list on bought things.And only eating grown up lamb and fish, swapping margarines for olive oil to cook with and eliminating all the breads that contain preservitives and additives. So rather than sign up for now, I suggest you wait till after next week when you can take a look at what has to happen here, then make up your mind.;)
Love
Mum