Tuesday, April 19, 2005

It's Not In Vain (Okay, Yes it Is)

So, in my ongoing effort to battle the whole blemish thing (and honestly, that's putting it mildly) because I'm going to be thirty next year forgodsake, I've taken the advice of 2 people who have suffered more horribly than me. Or, I should say, who used to. They are now completely normal (for whatever normal means, these days) but of course I mean physically - outwardly.

For those of you who suffer this problem, to say it's a shameful thing would be putting it nicely and it barely covers the surface of how it really affects us. Some people cover it with makeup, some with really long hair; myself, I got used to it and just decided I "didn't care" what the world thought.

This is, of course, untrue. I did care, not so much what other people thought, but how I thought about myself. I've never been a particularly vain person, but I would like to like what was reflected in the mirror.

Okay, so... The advice given to me by two people: Cut out the dairy. Specifically milk and cheese. I know, I was skeptical and it sounds really wacky and bizarre.

And in the beginning, I thought, "Yeah no worries, I don't eat much dairy anyway."

Turns out I was wrong. Now I'm looking at ingredients on packages of food, regardless of what it is. I haven't had a piece of chocolate in three days - a record for me. Seriously. I usually eat one or two pieces every single day, either in the form of a cookie of some kind, or the bar kind. Most recently - easter eggs leftover from easter that we bought on sale a week after easter.

But anyway, so I've been on this No-Milk-No-Cheese-Or- Milk-And-Cheese-Byproducts "diet" for three days now (today marking my third). You know what I have discovered? I think there's something to this crazy advice. The pores on my skin have shrunk and my complexion in general is alot more refined. I have almost no more red patches on my skin. What blemishes I had, have shrunk so much I can hardly believe it myself, but have to since I can now look in the mirror and not cringe. I mean ... wow. And I have to believe my love when he looks at me and constantly remarks, "I can't believe how good your skin looks, baby!" I can't say that I've ever heard that in my life. And ontop of that, my face isn't nearly as puffy in the morning when I wake up and I don't feel anywhere near as bloated as I typically did in any given day.

Honestly, it's amazing. I'm so thrilled, and I haven't changed anything else in my diet at all. I still drink soda and I still eat cookies (that have no milk or milk byproducts in them). Yesterday I was looking up information on the web and found this and this and was absolutely astounded. Nothing else has changed in my eating habits or drinking habits, or morning face wash routine either. All I've done is eliminate milk and cheese (and byproducts) from my diet!

(I so seriously could be an infomercial person)

Anyway. I've suffered so ungraciously with such imperfect skin for the better part of my whole life, and it's always been a source of contention and misery for me to the point of hating having my face touched that now I've found something that actually seems to be working. You can't imagine how happy this makes me!

Now, if I could just lose that 15-20lbs...

No comments: