Thursday, April 28, 2005

Dry, Desert Heat

Well, we're here in sunny Acapulco Phoenix and it's so gorgeous outside right now. I've already taken a bunch of photos of the house we're staying in, D's friend's child, D's friend's dog, and some of plants. Plants!

The flight was good. I was panicking (as usual) before I got on the plane, envisioning all kinds of terroristic attacks, and then I thought, "Who would want to attack Phoenix? There's nothing there except cactus." And suddenly everything was right with the world and I no longer felt the need to panic and over-analyze every look I was given from the passengers around me.

For a 4 hour flight though, it felt so much longer! And OMG it was tedious. I was so bored. Of course, I could have rented headphones for the inflight movie "National Treasures" but at $5 a pop (x2 mind you) I decided that would just be insane, and didn't. Instead, I spent most of the flight alternating between trying to sleep (and kinking my neck) and kissing and verbally teasing my sweetheart. Good times.

My stomache was all a-flutter though and alerting me every so often with giant gurgles of distress mixed with searing pain, but I think that had something more to do with the fact that I ate a hearty meal of Chinese the evening before at the Mandarin All-You-Can-Eat buffet restaurant. OMG so good, but I paid for my insolence yesterday and will continue to do so for most of today, if my gurgling distressed innards are anything to go by.

Why, oh why must I do this to myself?

Anyway. D's friend picked us up at the airport - we landed half an hour earlier than expected - and drove us back to the house we're currently at. It was such a pretty drive, roughly half an hour from Sky Harbour, and full of conversation about hiking and taxes and schools with a little bit of politics thrown in.

They have a delicious looking swimming pool which I am seriously interested in, though without a bathing suit I have only 2 options. 1) I can go naked, and 2) I can go in my underwear. Well, I suppose there can be a third option of driving into town and buying a bathing suit, but that's not nearly as provocative, is it? We'll probably end up doing that anyway since D doesn't have swimmers either, and I need more than the one tshirt I came here with.

Note that I am considering purchasing more clothes, when my large suitcase weighed in at 55lbs, and my small one weighed in at 45lbs. Do I really need to add more weight to my suitcases? Alternatively, I can throw out some stuff I brought with me, like D's rollerblades for example. I'm sure they're a hefty 20lbs all by themselves.

Anyway, I'm here and so far enjoying it, though I just want these 2 weeks to be over with so I can get home already.

That's it from me for now and I'll upload more photos as soon as I can.

2 comments:

She Must be Full of BS said...

Hey, don't forget to give me a call when you have a minute! Leave me a number and a good time to call you! Not right away of course, but I'd love to talk to you in the next 2 weeks while you're in the states and I can call out there for free... as for the magical revelation I referred to on my blog, you already know, I was keeping quiet about it to people around here until we both notified our respective bosses of our plans. We have now, so I'm going to make an announcement on the blog for the 3 people who actually look at it, and then a few days later, send out a nice long letter to all that I care about. So you'll be getting it too! And don't worry, it'll be 'bcc' so noone will get anyone else's email addys. Talk to you soon I hope, and have a wonderful sunny time in AZ!! Love you!

Anonymous said...

So pleased you are now in some sun...you wont be so hard to spot when you come back with a tan !!!! Right. You will look like everybody else and neither of us will see you. Pleased you are enjoying the country...found any scorpions yet?
Have a great time and will see you in twelve days ! Love you Mum