Wednesday, December 08, 2004

God Bands

I think I might have groused before that I found a song I was just all in love with, until I realized the band was singing about god, and I got disgusted. Blindsided by it, because the genre of music it was under, was Alternative/Modern Rock.

(Christian Rock has it's own damned label - use it)

So I didn't know any different. And the only reason I found about it was because I was told by someone who pillaged the mp3 for me. (He's probably the only one who would ever so blankly tell me I was listening to christian music and berate me lovingly for it) He then promptly informed me I "have been away from the darkside for too long". <3

Anyway, so I'm sitting here at work, listening to my LaunchCAST and I come across aformentioned god band, The Violet Burning. If you're into god music, I really really recommend this band. They kick ass.

After much deliberation and conversation, I came to the conclusion that I can actually listen to this christian rock music without going off the deep end, as long as I know it beforehand. And as long as it isn't preachy.

So I'm ok with that. Turns out Creed went christian rock before they split. Turns out Evanescence used to be christian rock. I'm even hearing rumours now, that POD is christian music (wouldn't know, never listened to them). These are just some examples that I know of - it wouldn't surprise me to learn about other bands I like, are classified christian rock and I wouldn't even know. I'm relatively happy being ignorant on this.

Which brings me to the whole point of my post. I find yet another band I dig, and come to find out they are also a god band. ::sigh:: If you're curious, check out Pillar, particularly their last album, Where Do We Go From Here. Outstanding.

I'm not going to say I'll never listen to them again (I've learned since my banishment of aforementioned god band) just because they have different points of view than I do, but I will say I'm just annoyed by it. Really flipping annoyed by it.

Not at the bands, don't get me wrong. I'm not annoyed with them. They kick out raging music which is awesome. I'm annoyed/pissed with the morons at LaunchCAST who put this music in the wrong mfing genre categories. If I wanted to listen to christian rock, I'd go and I'd check off that particular category!

But now, after discovering 3 different bands that I thought were alterna/modern trash rock are actually god bands, is this a sign? =\

No comments: