Tuesday, December 14, 2004

DFS

So a few months ago, I was in the market for a new computer. I generally buy from Gateway because I love their product and their customer service cannot be beat. But I have a bankruptcy against my name now, so I could not longer get credit from them.

This is fine. I go to Dell and sign up online for credit. I'm instantly approved for $1500. I cheer. I buy myself a swanky little desktop. I get one bill a month later, and send in payment.

I have not received another bill. I call up Dell Financial Services (outsourced to India, I come to find out) to find out why I have yet to get another bill. I could not get ahold of a human being to save my life. I check the automated account feature, it says I'm paid to date, and my next payment is not due until December 31st. I'm perplexed by this.

I haven't had a bill since October, therefore I haven't paid anything since October, so how can my account be current? I decide to call Dell back tonight, and of course, cannot get ahold of DFS because their operating hours are until 6pm.

No problem, I think. I manage to find a phone number to their "customer care" department, and call them. Surprisingly, I'm not on hold for very long, before I get some indian guy named Marc talking to me.

He cannot find my account. He asks me my customer number. I have no idea what it is, and I'm trying to find it on the dell website while I have him on the phone. I give him my name, my billing info, my zip code, my phone number, and he still cannot find my account.

Miraculously, I manage to find my account number on the dell website. I tell this to Marc who then attempts to look at my account. I tell him I haven't gotten a bill since October and even though the automated system says I'm not due for payment until December, I think this is very wrong and I want a bill. He asks me if I've changed my billing address. I tell him no. I tell him I got the first one, but have not received any since then.

He then informs me that I have to contact DFS, but they're only open until 6pm. I then inform him that I have tried to call DFS however I cannot get a human being to speak with. I then tell him, that if they are only open until 6pm, why are they calling me at 8pm at night, and refusing to talk to me when I answer the phone?

He asks me to explain myself. I say ok, and proceed to tell him that they called me this evening, before I contacted him, I answered the phone and they didn't say anything. I waited a solid minute (enough for lag time) before hanging up the phone. Nobody was on the other end of the line.

He tells me he doesn't know anything about that, that he cannot help me, and that I need to call back tomorrow. Unhappily, I tell him fine, thank you, and hang up the phone.

Half an hour later, after I'm done eating dinner, I come back into the bedroom and find my phone shrilling to inform me I had a message in my voicemail. By this time, it's 8pm. I check voicemail, it's someone from DFS! Of course, he tells me I must call him back as this is an urgent matter, and I have to contact him by 8pm tomorrow evening.

All of this after I'm informed their business hours are until 6pm?! WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!

So then, after all that, I head over to the dell messageboards, and THIS is what I find out. My stomache curdles in fear and anxiety. Is this the bullshit I am now going to go through?!

Honestly I feel like letting this damned bill go to collection so they can come repo it, and I can be rid of this piece of shit and never have to deal with dell or their bullshit financial services ever again.

Anyone else go through this? I will never use Dell again and after reading everything on that messageboard, I am going to tell everyone I know to never buy through Dell. Never deal with their bullshit financial services. OMG NEVER ACCEPT DELL CREDIT!!!

I need to calm down. My blood is boiling and I know I'm steaming too much at the moment to be healthy. This is fucking insane.

No comments: