Monday, May 08, 2006

Let's Play Make Believe

This will be a fun game, I promise.

First, let's pretend you're me. You're a 30 year old fiancee of a very wonderful and enigmatic man, and you have a three month old daughter. You frequently send out monthly emails to your friends and family updating them of your daughter's progress, because over half of these people don't have access to your blog, and you don't really blog too much about your daughter anyway because you want to keep some things private.

Having said that, you always put in the email how old your daughter is, and when her birthday is. This isn't so people lavish presents upon her (yet), this is so people will KNOW how old she is, and on what date.

With me? Okay.

Now...Let's pretend that yesterday the MiL rings. The conversation is going very well, (which you know is a fairly rare occurance) and you're discussing your daughter; her granddaughter. You talk about her progress and how she's fussing at the moment because at the same time you're on the phone with the MiL, your daughter is squirming and bellowing in your arms because she's overtired from her visit with her Neena and her Nanna, and you're trying to get her off to sleep.

Then your MiL asks how old she is. You take a quick look through one of the many mental folders you have, and recollect that she asked you this question not five days previous when she called. And, not only did she ask you, she also asked her son the very same question. And she was met with the same answer every single time: "She'll be 3 months on May 7th."

So, let's just say all of that happened, and you hand off the phone to your fiance because MiL wants to talk with her son, and you sit down on the couch with the fussing child, and you think for a moment. You know without a doubt that people have been told time and again about the date of your daughters birth. You know with every fibre of your being, if you were to ask any member of your family, when your daughter's birthday was, they would be able to tell you and some of them may even be advanced enough to tell you the exact time, even though that's not what you were getting at.

Okay so we've pretended all of that happened. Now, let's switch places again, and you're a grandmother. Do YOU remember your grandchild's birthday? How should I be feeling?

4 comments:

Maribeth said...

I'd think about dementia too. And even if she is in her 50's or 60's it can happen. Hubby's ex-wife has Alzheimers. Just diagnosed and she is in her mid 60's. Very sad.
If she is sharp as a tack on other things than I suggest you ignore it. I by the way, would remember when my grandchild was born (I am hoping for one soon!).
Can I be her Granny? Granny Dackel!

ezri.blue said...

Actually, she does have dementia. I didn't think of that at the time, and I know she's not on any medication for it - is there such a thing? Sigh. All I know is that it drives me crazy having to repeat myself ALL the time. She's in her very late 50s now, I believe.

And of course you can Maribeth! Er, should I say, Granny Dackel? ;)

She Must be Full of BS said...

I'm Auntie Brenna even though I'm really really far away, right?

And at least when you have to repeat things over and over again you know you'll never forget them yourself...(not that you'd ever forget Kira's b-day, I meant other stuff. You know what I mean.) Just trying to find a silver lining, however irritating going through the stormcloud may be to get to it. And it might make you cough. The stormcloud, not the MiL. I'm tired.

ezri.blue said...

Of course you're Auntie Brenna!

And the stormcloud might me cough, but the MiL makes me plotz.