Monday, November 29, 2004

Control

I decided to attempt on quitting swearing today. I swear alot. I mean, alot. I don't notice it much, however when I made the conscious effort to stop, I suddenly became aware of how often I swore. Not always the F-word either, though it ranks up there often. I found out this afternoon, I have very little control over myself.

Almost none, in fact.

My workmates thought this hilarious, but they were good natured about it, and constantly told me when I swore; usually by laughing loudly and saying my name. By 3pm, I'd given up all hope, and by 3:30pm I actually swore - the F-word to be exact - which elicited much laughter from my workmates. This is going to be alot harder than I first anticipated.

But, it is a shot at self-control. God knows I need it. I also need to stop saying every little thing that enters my head. I also need to stop craving certain... items. But, these are all incidentals. I figure if I can work on the swearing issue, the rest should fall into place.

One of my workmates tells me constantly I need to stop playing such violent videogames. Another friend tells me I'm a game-junkie (yeah, like he can talk). Someone else different altogether, tells me I should stop watching violent movies. Somehow, somewhere, this all ties into my constant swearing and lack of self-control, I am sure.

Ok. So. Control. Working on that one right now. I'm not making any foolish promises to myself, though. In all actuality I'm not going to make it through the night without swearing, much less a whole day tomorrow. But at the very least, the effort will have me cutting back. And that's a start, right?

No comments: