Monday, May 01, 2006

I'm Going Mental Over Avon

Usually Avon has some kind of stigma attached to it. When people hear you use it, you're almost always greeted with some kind of furtive grin, and a look that implies something along the lines of, That's only because it's cheap, so don't try and sell me on it.

I remember as a kid, I think I may have been around 12 or 13, but not much older than that, and we used to have an Avon rep come around every so often. I used to love pouring through her catalogues and looking at all those mini lipsticks and eyeshadows and thinking how wonderful it must be to have all of that stuff! I didn't realize back then, that those were mostly just samples, and the product you bought was actually much larger. I just remember everything being so pretty and feminine and smelling so lush. But I never really owned any of it, except for the Night Magic Perfumed Body Powder, although back then it was the Night Magic TALCUM powder. And I just loved the way it smelled. It was the only powder I'd use, but I used it quite sparingly as my allowance didn't provide me with enough cash to be able to buy it every month.

And then when I came back from America, I met up with one of my cousins, who is now an Avon rep. I didn't buy too much from her, but I did sop up as many sample items as humanly possible (I now have an extensive collection of perfumes and facial products, half of which I will probably never use). In doing this, I've found a couple of really wonderful fragrances, and skincare products. Which brings me to my entire point: facial products. Specifically, stuff designed for those of us with acne that won't go away, even if we beat it with a stick.

I'd tried everything store bought, and none of it really worked. I even tried Proactiv which did not work either. (While it did not work for me, friends of mine use it and their skin looks absolutely flawless so clearly my genetic makeup was tampered with ... somehow) After perusing through the catalogue of such pretty, pretty things, I decided what the hell, and bought some items.

I have to tell you how much I love the Clearskin Double Action Cleanser. While I still have my blemishes, they are not nearly as horrible as they once looked (I understand all things take time, much as I wish they'd disappear overnight) and not only that, my skin is so much softer and cleaner! Oh, and younger looking. Ontop of that, I also own a facial scrub by Planet Spa (not listed on the website) and another Avon branded mask. After only using each of these once, (on separate days), my skin is again softer, more supple and nourished, and pores? Tightened, firmed and NO LONGER VISIBLE! This shit is truly amazing, and I'm just astounded that my skin looks so much better after only using these products for a week or so now.

So of course, I went on a rampage and decided to buy an assload more stuff, some makeup and perfume and body washes, things of that nature.

So give me that funky little look and that sly little smile when I tell you, YES I BUY AVON - I don't care. I've found a nifty set of products that work for me. I might just start an Avon cheerleading squad.

5 comments:

Maribeth said...

I had terrible acne as a kid and well into my thirties. Now as I near my 50's I only get a very occasional blemish. There is the upside to menopause! LOL

E in Oz said...

Ok...Johnson & Johnson foaming facial cleanser (it's a scrubby one, and not the pimple one). I think that's the name of it. It works wonders and feels great. If that's not the name of it, I'll leave another comment.

Also, and I know it's expensive, but it's worth every cent.... Dr Lewinn Private Formula. You get the day cream, night cream and eye gel in a pack together for about $145, but it lasts about 6-9 months coz you use hardly any. Takes a couple of weeks for your skin to get used to it, but it clears it up, makes your skin soooo soft and removes fine lines. I don't normally have any clue about girl stuff or facial stuff, but this is the best stuff I've ever used.

Anonymous said...

Nuthin' wrong with Avon!!! I too loved the catalogue when I was a kid and then started buying stuff when I was in my 20's. I've always got Velvet Amari in my fridge! I also love the citrus scented foot cleaners and the pore refiner....

E in Oz said...

Eh, it's called Daily Exfoliating Facial Wash.

My mum always used the Avon Skin So Soft stuff... I luuurved the stuff you put in the bath.

ezri.blue said...

I *love* the Skin So Soft stuff!

I wasn't sure about that Dr Lewinn line, though I did hear it was really good. I just didn't think it did anything for blemish-prone skin.

I was going to buy the Oil of Olay for blemish prone skin, but I think for now I'll just stick with Avon.