Monday, March 13, 2006

I Think I'm a Prude

...but I'm really not sure. I've always thought I had a rather open mind when it came to sex, however after yesterday, I'm not sure that's entirely the case anymore.

How do you react to someone telling you, that the daycare they send their three year old to, has an abundance of masturbating three year old girls during what's supposed to be their nap time? Apparently they feel safe and secure wrapped up in their little blankies, and just go to town.

The teachers, evidently, don't do anything because what can they say? Apparently they've tried stopping the girls from doing this kind of thing in public, but obviously to no avail.

After picking my mouth up off the floor, I said something about checking for video cameras set up in the room because that just doesn't sound right to me; and yes I know I'm paranoid. I'm also thinking if that were Kira in that daycare, I'd haul her ass out of there faster than you could blink.

It really makes me wonder about the integrity of the daycare center, but it makes me wonder more about the parents of these girls. If it starts in daycare, it's no bloody wonder eight year olds are having sex.

I guess what I'm wondering is, am I taking it way out of context? Am I a prude? Should I be more open minded about these sorts of things? Is this normal?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy hell!! I would have thought it was natural for kids to be curious about their genitals but not to the point of masturbating!!

Sounds bizarre to say the very least!!

Michelle

Maribeth said...

No, you are not a prude! Like you, I would haul my kid out of any daycare center that allowed this to continue. A simple explanation of "nono Sally, we don't do that here." Would more than suffice. Most kids aren't THAT curious!

ezri.blue said...

See that's what I thought too! How does a 3 year old know how to do that anyway? :\

She Must be Full of BS said...

OMG, that has got to be the most disturbing thing I've heard in a really long time!! And you know me, honey, my life tends to lean toward disturbing on a very regular basis. Think anyone might ever call me a prude in this lifetime? HAH! Not bloody likely. But... eeew. Not healthy. I would not only immediately rip my kid out of there, but report them to the appropriate authorities. I very seriously wonder about the sanity of any parent who would accept an explanation that half-assed and insincere as law, and continue to let their child be there! Uber-creepy. And very, very, NOT NORMAL.

Anonymous said...

Uhh, I'm pretty sure that it's normal for children to masturbate.. and will do so in public unless otherwise told not to. I don't think it has anything to do with their parents and it's really just up to whatever social norms that are set up in the environment. I guess it's slightly strange that it's so prevalent at this particular day care.. but anyway, the point is that it's normal, but it's a taboo subject and thus not often discussed. If you read any book on childhood development, I'm sure it's in there. I know for sure that I saw a piece on it in this one sex studies textbook my (anthropology major) friend had.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what I mean by 'anything to do with their parents' is that.. I would say it's a function of childhood development, not of bad parenting. It may be the case that the parents are allowing the children to explore their sexuality rather than scolding them when they see them masturbating. I think that discipline at this age regarding masturbation will set the child up for thinking such activities are shamefull in later life. Eventually the children will learn that it's inappropriate to do such things in public (as our social norms dictate).

It's obviously a really touchy subject given the prevalence of child exploitation, etc.. Bleh, I don't want to come across as an advocate of this in any way, I just think that it's an overreaction to say that it's disturbing.